March 31, 2009

Preterm Labor Saga Cont...

{Short Version for those who don't have 10 mins - Went to the hospital due to contractions being too close together which were caused by the stomach flu. Stayed in the hospital overnight and released in the morning on a regiment of pills and bedrest. Received steroid shot to develop the boys' lungs.}

Another chapter in the preterm labor saga has now been written! It all started Monday morning at 4am when I woke up nauseated which turned to throwing up. I thought my stomach was just upset but was proven wrong when I threw up every hour that day until 2pm. I guess I got the stomach flu somehow or food poisoning and couldn't keep anything down even water. My doctor called in a anti-nausea suppository which seemed to solve the problem but I was really dehydrated. Dehydration + dry heaving for 9 hours = contractions that wont stop.

We went to the hospital at 4pm and immediately they started and IV with fluids. They couldn't do the normal regime of trib.utalane shots because I was so dehydrated my pulse was too high. So they did a similar drug in pill form. The pills didn't seem to work as fast or well then the shots did in the past but definitely didn't have the crazy side effects. After 4 pills my doctor decided to keep me overnight for observation and to hydrate me as much as possible because I was so dehydrated. I received 4 bags (4L of fluid during my stay) The only really scary part of the whole thing for me was when they decided to give me the ster.oid shot to speed up the development of the boys' lungs. It made it more real that they are concerned about them coming before 34 weeks. Better safe then sorry. We have to go back into the hospital tonight to get the second dose...not looking forward to that!

Cody stayed in a cot next to me in the hospital which was really nice. I've never stayed in the hospital before and now I know why I don't want to. The bed was so uncomfortable I could not sleep at all. Plus, Baby B did not want to hold still so my nurse came in every 20 minutes to readjust my fetal heart monitors. Poor Cody didn't get much sleep either.

Finally this morning my doctor came in to release me and I could not have been more happy to go home and be in my own bed. I'm going to be the best little bedrester so I do NOT have to go on hospital bedrest, please no!! My doctor is keeping me on the pills they were giving me at the hospital so I take them every six hours around the clock to keep my contractions down. Also... I'm on the "B" word, Yup - BEDREST! I'm allowed to get up and take a shower then move to the couch or back to bed and then up only to make something fast to eat for myself and then back to the couch. I'm on bedrest until the babies come or until we reach our goal of 34 weeks which is 4.5 weeks away! Poor Cody! I always knew April would be a long month for Cody and I. Mother's Intuition I say.

So if you just made it through all of that you are a amazing :) Cody and I are really doing fine, so no worries. I know people worry about how we are handling all this scary preterm labor stuff but really the babies will come when they are meant to come and everything will be fine. Thanks for keeping our little growing family in your thoughts and prayers. We really appreciate all your love and support. 4.5 weeks to go is not really that long, it's crazy to think they could be here before then! I hope not!

8 comments:

Elise said...

Oh wow Amanda, I'm sorry to hear about all of this. Have you gotten acquainted with Hulu.com? That will really help the long hours. I guess all this means you'll just have to eat a lot of cafe rio. . .

Patrice said...

And so it begins . . . We will add double prayers for you and those babies. I am so glad you can take care of yourself without other kiddos to worry about. (But, sometimes those other kiddos were very helpful, too.)

The Daltons said...

Wow. I'm glad you're all okay. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Thanks for the video of Hav I didn't even know she was dancing up there!

Serena said...

Just think of how happy you will be in AT LEAST 4.5 weeks!!! And how it will be worth it! And I'm sure you have plenty to keep you busy...

Laici said...

You poor thing. I can't imagine the worry you guys must feel. Hang in there, you're handling everything really well! No more throwing up alright! (That's what put me into labor also-food poisoning). Make sure you get a little waiter's bell for Cody, you're gonna need it! ;) But really, take care of yourself and we'll pray for you!

Jens and Patricia said...

So glad to hear everything is okay. Amanda - I want you to know that if you ever need dinner or something you should let me know. I am really not that far away and I know Cody works so really I am just a call..or text away! Good luck and I also hope you don't have to go to hospital bedrest!

jamie said...

I saw your facebook status and came over to read your blog--so sorry about the contractions! I was on bedrest starting at 29 1/2 weeks through 38 weeks and it was NO FUN. Most of mine were in antepartum in the hospital and I'm not going to lie, it sucks, but it is worth it. I also did the anticontraction meds every six hours and a couple rounds of the steroid shots so let me know if you have any questions about anything!

Andy & Alicia said...

You guys have such great attitudes. Good luck with being on bedrest. Hopefully you don't go to crazy. I can't believe you only have 4.5 weeks left (hopefully!)

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS