February 26, 2009

Plane Contractions???


24 weeks belly shot
At last Dr. appointment, I was measuring as big as a 32 week singleton pregnancy

So Cody and I made it to Washington! We are glad to be home and with my family but we had a scare last night. While on the plane (which my doctor approved) I started having contractions that were 2 minutes apart for about an hour. Not good!! After we landed and recounted my contractions we headed to the hospital in Olympia. I was seen right away which was so nice and got strapped to the fetal monitor. 

After finding both babies' heartbeats, the nurse started the contraction monitor and it showed I was having contractions every two minutes again. The nurse called the on-call doctor in a hurry. She came back in with meds and gave me a shot of tribut.aline which was interesting. It makes you all jittery like you had tons and tons of coffee (I wouldn't know... it's just how the nurse described it) Cody didn't like how it affected me since I was shaking all over and I couldn't control my body. 

So after another hour of monitoring my contractions, the medicine seemed to do the job and my contractions stopped. Thankfully the babies were not affected by the contractions, their heartbeats were great and they were moving around like crazy. The best part was when Baby B kept kicking the heartbeat monitor off my belly, I'm guessing he didn't like it - haha. 

My cervix was also checked which was long, firm, and very closed - Thank Goodness!!! They also performed a fet.al fibron.ecton test which can determine if you will go into premature labor in two weeks. Seeing a big fat negative on the sheet was such a relief. It is 99% effective which means my baby boys have at least two more weeks to grow and develop. 

3 hours later I was discharged from labor and delivery with good hopes and feeling at peace. I've had a couple of random contractions here and there which scare me but I've been staying down and drinking lots and water. I have a feeling this is what the rest of my pregnancy will be like - counting contractions and going to the hospital to get meds to stop them. I have at least ten more weeks that these babies need to stay in my belly... please stay in there boys, it's not time to meet you yet!!! 

9 comments:

Tori said...

That is so scary, and I hope your trip and the plane ride home aren't nearly as contraction-filled!

Patrice said...

And so it begins . . . We will add more prayers for those babies to stay put!! Every day in the womb is critical at this point. So, you still have the plane ride home. More prayers!!

Andy & Alicia said...

That is way scary. Good thing you guys found a good hospital to get you to fast. I'm happy though that you are home where your mom can take care of you!

Tiffany P. said...

Ok, so were you put on any kind of rest? It turned out the best that it could have I guess. A nice tight cervix is what we like at this point.

Oh, hey, we will be out of town for your shower... :(. Devan has a lab in SLC. unless I can talk him into going alone?

Jens and Patricia said...

WOW! That is so scary! Kind of ironic that the night before I was trying to describe to you what a contraction felt like. Sorry you actually had to experience some so soon. I am glad that your cervix was closed and everything was okay! Good luck and take it easy!

Tina said...

That is scary! I'm glad you and the babies are doing great though! Enjoy Washington :)

Unknown said...

dang pressure changes on planes! but glad you are okay.. and i hear ya on the tribulene.. that stuff is HORRIBLE!!!!! when they gave it to me too stop labor they said it could cause shaking.. uh yeah.. INSTANT shaking for the 4 hours they kept me there.. i was crying the whole time cause i couldn't control it. hopefully you never have to get that stuff again. just take it REAL easy and lay down as much as you can.. i hope those boys listen to you and stay in at least 10 more weeks!!

on a not as scary note.. you look GREAT! by the way.

The Olsons said...

Ok so I just wrote you a huge comment, and then realized not just anyone can post one so I went through all the trouble of setting up an account just to have it erased:) Basically I am really glad you and the boys got a clean bill of health! (although we would've loved to see them!:) But its a little early still I suppose:) I've been meaning to see how your pregnancy is going, but life has been busy busy lately! But how is it all going? Hows Cody's new job? And life in Utah?:) Its busy for us here, Andy's season is about to start back up. He's moving over on Tuesday and then the rest of us will follow in a couple weeks:) Anyways if you get a chance email me! My address is jessie_olson@yahoo.com. I'm not very up to date on this whole blog thing:) Talk to you soon! Tell Cody hi from all of us:)

Laici said...

I'm so sorry you had such a scare, and that now you will have that on your mind for the next 10 weeks! We'll keep you in our prayers. We're so glad everything went well. Will you still be making the trip down for the babyshower? :)

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS