May 14, 2012

Board & Batten

I've always loved wood work. I love houses that have tons of molding and wainscoting. I convinced Cody that if we were having a girl that he'd let me put up board and batten in the nursery. Once we found out we were having a girl I think he regretted his decision. So what to do...

Call Dad!! He is master DIY'er (to me anyways) and my parents volunteered to use their spring break from work to come down and help us put up the board and batten.What a sacrifice!

The week before my parents arrived, Cody & I painted the top half of the nursery grey. At first the grey didn't look grey at all. It looked baby blue and I was freaking out. So Cody calmed me down and he finished with the second coat and it looked grey in some lights and blue in others. I was really nervous. Grey is a hard color!!!

Let's just say that Cody does not enjoy home diy projects but I think he feels more confident now after helping my Dad.

Step #1 - Paint walls
Step #2 - Remove existing baseboards
Step #3 - Put in new baseboards
Then panic that this is going to be a lot more work than expected
(also notice how the walls look baby blue and below they look grey. It all depends on the lighting)

Step #4 - Put up smooth paneling
So much measuring and cutting and measuring and cutting. I had no idea! 

Step #5 - Put up rail 
 Step #6 - Put up vertical boards
Then have two little cute studs check the wall for studs and double check the calculations
Step #7 - Put up ledge and cove molding 
Step # 8 - Putty holes and sand everything
Step #9 - Caulk all cracks and boards okay pretty much everything
Step #10 - Prime everything
Step #11 - Paint everything
Step #12 - Touch up between walls and ceiling
Step #13 - Touch ups between wall and ledge
Step #14 - Clean up room and breathe

What a project! You read those DIY blogs and they say oh it'll only take about 10 hours. WRONG! This was way longer than 10 hours. Thankfully my Dad was able to get all the wood up and caulk before his spring break was up. Cody and I tried our best to prime and paint and do all the touch ups. 

I love how it turned out and am so grateful for my Dad's hard work. We also have some pretty awesome neighbors who let us borrow tools we needed. 

So now you're probably wondering what the nursery looks like all decorated... you'll have to wait but here's a sneak peek!

No comments:

SITE DESIGN BY RYLEE BLAKE DESIGNS